Monday, September 15, 2014

Storybook Dress Up Reveal

If you remember from my last post, I briefly talked about the custom order I was working on for a little papoose who will be dressing up as Daisy-Head Mayzie for a special day at school. I would have loved to dress up as my favorite book character when I was young, but my school did not have such a fun day. It would have been difficult for me to pick a favorite character anyway, but that's beside the point.

 
Since I seemed to have missed this Dr. Seuss book when I was growing up, I did a little research and familiarized myself with the character. I need to stock up on my book collection, especially since I have a little one on the way and I don't own a copy of my favorite Dr. Seuss book, Go, Dog, Go. Like so many others, I loved looking at all the eccentric illustrations and characters depicted. I was able to quickly come up with a design I thought worked well in capturing the character while still infusing a little of me as a designer. 

 
I took the flower theme and ran with it. Instead of a solid fabric piece collar, I cut and sewed a bunch of individual flower petals to go around the neckline and sleeves. The sleeves had to be puffy, of course, there's something so child-like and girly about them. The color palette really sets the tone of the dress in a pretty fuchsia with a rosy pink accent in the petals and the wraparound sash that ties dramatically into a large bow at the back. 

 
I cut two tiers for the skirt for extra twirling power and to keep with the flower theme. I found the most perfect buttons that is like the icing on the cake really. I love the way it turned out, it is exactly as I pictured it in my head. I hope the little papoose has a wonderful time wearing it and feels just like her favorite book character when she plays dress up!

1 comment: